Monday, May 12, 2008

Labels Poem

I thought this was very thought provoking. Shows the insanity of labels, and why I hate judgment. This really got me thinking about my own life and the way I see the world. How many times have I dismissed someone because of their stereotype? Good food for thought, to say the least. Hope you get something out of it too...

"Poem of the month:
I'm SKINNY, so I MUST have an eating disorder.
I'm a VIRGIN, so I MUST be prude.
I'm a SKATER, so I MUST be an idiot.
I'm a BIKER, so I MUST be very skilled.
I'm BLACK, so I MUST carry a gun.
I'm BLONDE, so I MUST be a ditz.
I'm JAMAICAN, so I MUST smoke weed.
I'm HAITIAN, so I MUST eat cat.
I'm ASIAN, so I MUST be ugly.
I'm PLO, so I must have nice eyes, but an ugly ass face.
I'm JEWISH, so I MUST be a GREEDY.
I'm GAY, so I MUST have AIDS.
I'm a LESBIAN, so I MUST have a sex-tape.
I'm ARAB, so I MUST be a terrorist.
I SPEAK MY MIND, so I MUST be a bitch.
I SAY WHAT I WANT, so I MUST BE AN ASSHOLE.
I'm an OREGONION, so I MUST hate white people.
I'm RELIGIOUS, so I MUST shove my beliefs down your throat.
I'm ATHEIST, so I MUST hate the world.
I don't have a RELIGION, so I MUST be evil and have no morals.
I'm a FOOTBALL PLAYER, so I MUST be a stupid jock and get everything handed to me.
I'm REPUBLICAN, so I MUST not care about poor people.
I am LIBERAL, so I MUST be gay.
I'm a HICK, so I MUST be 'white trash'.
I TAKE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS, so I MUST be crazy.
I'm a GUY, so I MUST only want to get into your pants.
I'm IRISH, so I MUST LOVE to drink.
I'm TAKEN, so I MUST be hot.
I'm INDIAN, so I MUST own a convenient store.
I'm NATIVE AMERICAN, so I MUST dance around a fire screaming like a savage.
I'm a CHEERLEADER, so I MUST be a skanky slut.
I'm a DANCER, So I must be a slut.
I wear SKIRTS a lot, so I MUST be a slut.
I'm a PUNK, so I MUST do drugs.
I'm RICH, so I MUST be a conceited snob.
I WEAR BLACK, so I MUST be Goth or emo
I'm a WHITE GIRL, so I MUST be a nagging, steal-your-money kind of girlfriend.
I'm CUBAN, so I MUST spend my spare time rolling cigars.
I'm SHY, so I MUST have no social life
I'm NOT A VIRGIN, so I MUST be easy."

2 comments:

justjuls said...

This poem could also be called Assumptions!
Hi Beanie - so glad you stopped by my blog! I wish you lived closer - my daughter Kendra is 17 also. Not that I would assume anything! :)
ha ha -

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your mom is a terrific lady and I'm glad the two of you are participating in the conversation going on. Part deux on the horizon.

QavahYada said...

I've seen this before. You're right, it's very interesting. I hate labels...I know that in itself is an overused sentiment, but it's true. It just gives people another way to limit others and themselves.